Future Solo Batman Film Title Confirmed
While promoting his new film The Accountant, Ben Affleck confirmed the working title for the new Batman movie as simply, The Batman. During his interview with The Associated Press, he briefly mentions development of the script is still underway [with Geoff Johns].
“The movie, I think, is going to be called The Batman. I think that’s what we’re going with now. I might change it,” Affleck said. We’re working on the script, it’s going well, I’m really excited about it, and I assure you, if anything develops, you’ll hear about it.”
Since the movie was first rumored to be in development, The Batman has been the most popular rumored title. It’s an almost perfect and simplistic approach to the film. The title is stating the fear and legend of the character is bigger than the character itself. In Batman v Superman, they never referred to him as “Batman”, they referred to him as “The Batman”. Batman is not characterized as a person, but as a symbol. Now that Affleck has confirmed the rumors to be true and Deathstroke confirmed to be an antagonist, the whole world will be waiting for news about the script. Until then, let’s break down the meaning of the title, facts we know, what we can assume and speculate about the future film.
Facts we know:
- Ben Affleck and Geoff Johns are currently writing a script for the new solo Batman film
- Warner Bros. CEO Kevin Tsujihara confirmed Affleck will star and direct the future feature film
- Affleck, Johns and writer Chris Terio have hinted that Batman will be a more hopeful one going forward after the sacrifice by Superman
- J.K. Simmons’ Commissioner Gordon will be in the new movie
- Slade Wilson/Deathstroke will be the villain (or a villain)
- Joe Manganiello will play Slade Wilson/Deathstroke in the DCEU
- Ben Affleck confirms the working title of the new solo film is The Batman, but isn’t set in stone.
— Ben Affleck (@BenAffleck) August 29, 2016
What we can assume:
- The movie will mostly take place in the current DCEU with flashbacks
- The script was rumored to have been completed some time ago, but Affleck just confirmed they are currently working on it. After revealing a fully suited up Deathstroke, casting the role and revealing him to be the villain, one can assume they are currently working on minor changes/tweaks to the script and trying to iron out the details
- Speaking of which, Jeremy Irons will return as Alfred Pennyworth
- Production will begin in about a year and a half, according to the CEO of Warner Bros. But always a possibility of delays or fast-tracking
- There are 2 open slots in the DCEU film slate on October 5, 2018 and November 1, 2019. The Batman will be in one of the spots depending on when they can finalize the script and start filling up the cast.
- Again, he’ll be more hopeful than a brooding vindictive dark knight.
- If the multiple suits and bat-centric vehicles, in BvS and the upcoming Justice League movie have been any indication, we’ll see a slew of new suits, vehicles and gadgets
- Calling any superhero film a “solo” film in this day and age is a joke. It’s safe to assume, Batman won’t be the only hero we see in this film.
- With the amount of world building Warner Bros. is doing with the numerous Easter Eggs in BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and Justice League (the latter two based on rumors), we can safely assume they are going to stuff this movie past the brim with Batman lore and DCEU Easter Eggs
- A flashback of Robin being killed by the Joker and Harley Quinn
- A flashback showing the Robin killed was Jason Todd
- Jason Todd will appear as the Red Hood
- Nightwing, Oracle, Batgirl, Batwoman have all been, at one point, rumored to appear in the movie
- Carrie Kelley, Tim Drake and/or Damien Wayne will appear and take up the Robin mantle
- Deathstroke/Slade Wilson will be the antagonist for most of the movie, but someone will be behind the curtain pulling the strings.
- Deathstroke will be hired to take out The Batman by either Amanda Waller, Lex Luthor, the Red Hood, the Joker, Hush, Penguin, Ra’s al Ghul, Black Mask, Hugo Strange or the Court of Owls
- The main setting will take place at Arkham Asylum
- Either a jailbreak or Deathstroke freeing the occupants of Arkham; a who’s who of Batman’s iconic rogues gallery
- We will see nearly every major Batman villain in some capacity
- The movie will be partly based off of the Arkham Asylum video game and graphic novel
- The movie will be partly based off of ‘A Death in the Family’, ‘Under the Red Hood’, ‘Hush’ and/or ‘Court of Owls’ storyline
- According to Affleck, the story will be original. But he also mentioned they would borrow from different storylines ala Zack Snyder.
What do you think of the new title? Does it say a lot or not much at all? Let us know what you think of the new title and please like, share and comment below.
— Zack Snyder (@ZackSnyder) July 23, 2016